The fifteen members of the National Commission for Civic Investment in Public Education have performed an extraordinary service for this nation and for America's schoolchildren. The Commission's work was ably led by co-chairs Richard W. Riley, former U.S. Secretary of Education (1993 -- 2001) and Linda Darling-Hammond, world-renowned education scholar and professor of education at Stanford University. Other members included leaders from the corporate, philanthropic, and nonprofit sectors; educators; researchers; and public education support organization leaders from around the country. Together they shared a commitment to expand civic knowledge and support of public education through citizen involvement.
- The National Commission for Civic Investment in Public Education by Wendy Puriefoy
- Reaffirming the Dream: The Case for Civic Investment by Richard W. Riley and Linda Darling-Hammond
- A Story of Civic Investment in Public Education by Susan V. Berresford
- The Right Funds for Reinvestment by Erwin de Leon
- A Failure of Philanthropy: American Charity Shortchanges the Poor, and Public Policy is Partly to Blame by Rob Reich